There are many monasteries, chappels and churches in Samos. Some of them are:
TIMIOS STAVROS ( Mavratzei)
One of the oldest on the island built in 1582 by Nelios. Inside a deep cave is located the chapel of the Madonna.Outside the cave there are a few small buildings and a chapel more recently constructed.
AGIA ZONI ( Vlamari)
It was build in 1695 by the Monk Meletios. It is located in Vlamari just 3 kilometres from Samos Town. There are beautiful wall paintings and the Temple is build in the style of Basilica. Renovated in the year 2013 .
ZODOCHOS PIGI ( Vlamari)
It was build in the 17th century by the monk Dorotheos. It is situated on the west of the plain of Vlamari on the top of a hill. The temple is of the Byzantine Cross Order.
OF THE EVANGELISTRIAS
A road that branches-off from the main road from Spathareoi to Pagondas leads us to the outer gate of this monastery which is for women.
PANAGIA VANGELISTRA (Marathokampos/Mountain Kerkis)
It is located over the beach of Votsalakia within the confines of a forest on Mount Kerkis. It is a convent for nuns and follows the Gregorian calender.
AGIOS IOANNIS THE ALMONER
It is under the ecclessiastical jurisdiction of the church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. It is a little below the village of Paliochori in the area of Marathokampos near an enchanting seaside.
PANAGIA VRONTIANI (Vourliotes)
At a distance of 2 kms from Vourliotes is the Monastery of PanagiaVrontiani, the oldest in Samos. It was built in the 16th century.
SAINT SPYRIDON (Samos Town)
This church is situated in the capital of Samos, Vathy, on the Square of AgiosSpyridon. It is a church of an historic importance because it is the place where the decision to unite Samos with the rest of Greece was taken.
In Potami, we walk through a path which leads into the hills through scenery which the locals compare to Switzerland. At the foot of the mountain there is the chapel of the Holy Saviour (14th century).
PANAGIA SPILIANI (Pythagorio)
This fine monastery is located in the village of Phythagorio, in the southern part of the island. Its name means the Monastery of the Virgin of the Grotto. It is located two kilometersSoutheast of the village of Koumaradei and on the side of the road that leads to Miloi, in a very nice environment with an altitude of 225 meters. It has a lovely view of the plain of Chora, Pythagorio and the Asia Minor coast (the mountain of Mikali). It was founded in 1586 the monks (and brothers as well) Neilos and Dionysios and it is dedicated to the Assumption. It has to show a very nice woodcut temple, some frescoes and a lot of holly ware.